Why Choose BPS
Our school offers many programs beyond learning in the classroom, as we believe in developing the whole child. Students are given opportunities to excel in their strengths and try new experiences. Well-being and positive education is at the forefront of our culture.
BPS is committed to:
- Student achievement and striving for excellence.
- Student Leadership opportunities.
- School Chaplain Program.
- Developing Values.
- Specialist Programs – Mandarin (China Study Tour biannually), Art, Music, PE, The Patch – gardening & cooking.
- Instrumental Music Program – lessons and school band.
- Many extra curricula activities before, during and after school including: Chess, Coding, Tennis, Science, Knitting, Sustainability, Drama, Dance, Lego Robotics,
- Spacious, safe grounds to encourage play and friendship.
Foundation Transition Program
Prep enrolment commences in the year prior to children starting school. Children enrolling in Victorian schools must turn 5 years old by 30th April in the year of entry and are usually enrolled in the year prior to their commencement (the pre-school/kinder year).
Once you have chosen to enrol at Blackburn Primary School and you have received your letter of offer and accepted. You will be invited to attend our Foundation Transition program.
We take great pride in the way in which our students make the transition from Kindergarten to their Foundation year, we aim to make it as enjoyable, smooth and positive as possible.
We offer an extensive transition program that commences in Term 3, with our StoryTime sessions and continues through until formal Foundation Transition in November. We have found that by developing a strong relationship between our school, the new Foundation children and their parents as soon as possible, we can better plan programs to suit the specific needs of the children.
Our program also helps to make our new students and their families feel part of our Blackburn Primary School community.
The Foundation Year
Beginning Foundation is a very important milestone for students and their families. At BPS, we understand that it can be a daunting experience and therefore we take extra care to make transition from Kinder as seamless as possible. Orientation and keeping a positive outlook about all aspects of the changes from school and home is key. They are supported with:
- a relaxed entry to the classroom.
- a restricted Foundation only play area directly supervised by a teacher.
- a Foundation playground with climbing equipment and a sandpit.
- senior school buddies to nurture, mentor and help the young students.
- scheduled toilet and eating breaks.
- a four day week throughout February.
- name badges that identify them to all staff and students.
- daily individual dismissal to parents.
- technology is introduced with class iPads
We also offer:
- an exciting and stimulating learning program that is both innovative and caters to individual needs
- dedicated Literacy & Numeracy blocks (minimum of 4 sessions of each Reading, Writing & Mathematics)
- Perceptual Motor Program (PMP) which is a gross and fine motor development program aimed at developing skills for Literacy and learning.
- specialist lessons for all children in Music, PE, Visual Arts and Mandarin.
- digital displays in all classrooms F-6, a well-stocked library and opportunities for Foundation students to use digital media to record, create, play and learn.
- leadership opportunities for all children F-6 in many areas.
- a wide range of extra curricula activities held on school grounds, including Hobby club, Chess club, Choir, an acclaimed bands program, private instrumental lessons, tennis lessons, interschool and afterschool sport and Taekwondo.
- support programs such as EAL support, Literacy Support.
- regular opportunities for students to participate in staged performances, both as a level and grade.
- regular opportunities for lessons about sustainability and science in our school garden – ‘The Patch’. The garden program is equipped with student sized garden tools and garden gloves.
Enrolling at BPS
Choosing a school for your child is an important decision, and we are here to support you through this process as much as possible. A school tour with our principal team is a great opportunity to see our school in action and to get a ‘feel’ for the school and assess if it will meet the learning needs for your child. Interested parents are encouraged to book a school tour.
How to Enrol
- Complete an enrolment form. Forms can be obtained in person during a school tour or by contacting the school office by telephoning 9878 1483 or by emailing email@example.com
- Complete the enrolment form and return it to the school by post, email or in person.
- Foundation enrolments must have attached:
- a copy of the child’s birth certificate (all foundation students for 2021 must turn five by 30 April 2021)
- an immunisation certificate (available from your local Council on presentation of immunisation records or from Medicare offices).
Note: Enrolment forms can be submitted now and birth and immunisation certificates provided as you are able to access them – they must be received before the end of the year prior to your child starting school.
Enrolments are welcome in all year levels and are being taken now – please contact the school on 9878 1483.
We extend an invitation to parents/guardians considering enrolment at Blackburn Primary School to attend a tour of the school. You will have the opportunity to visit our classrooms and see our school in action. Attendance on a school tour is not compulsory, but recommended. An information pack, including enrolment documentation, will be offered at the conclusion of the tour. Tour duration is approximately one hour. Tour bookings are now available starting in February 2022.
The number of participants on each tour is capped, so booking is essential.
Please pass this information to family and friends that may have a child starting school in 2022 and beyond, or may be looking to relocate into Blackburn.
School Readiness Program
Welcome to our parents and families of our new Foundation students 2022.
Being a Foundation student and attending primary school for the first time is such an exciting and fun stage in your child’s life. For you there may be some wonderings about how school in 2022 looks like, what has changed and of course you will be asking yourselves how you can support the transition of your child from Kindergarten and childcare and into primary school.
We are here to help in every day.
Blackburn Primary School has developed this portal to support all parents in the transition for your child to school. We will have information for you in the form of videos and offers of webinars with our teachers at the school where you can ask questions and seek the answers you are looking for!
Please engage with our portal and ask questions via the school email address and we will endeavour to support all your queries as soon as we can.
Happy viewing and reading!
A day in the life of Foundation
Hear from our School Council President and representatives from the Parents and Friends group:
TheirCare – our before and after care provider.
More information can be found here – https://blackburnps.vic.edu.au/parents/#basc
Click here to view the Blackburn Parent Info Slides
Click here to view the Program Information Flyer Blackburn PS
Students residing in this zone are guaranteed a place at our school, which is determined on the basis of your permanent residential address.
The Department provides guidance through the School Placement Policy to ensure that students have access to their designated neighbourhood school and the freedom to choose other schools, subject to facility limitations. Currently BPS has the capacity to accept enrolments outside of our nominated school zone.
You can find more information and answers to frequently asked questions on the Department’s website under School zones.